[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Line clamps

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 15:05:19 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 3:34 PM, François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Then I add line_clamp=pin possibility.

I have seen a youtube video with an arrangement with a pole and cross-bar.
It uses three
identical insulators.  Directly above the pole the insulator is used as a
pin.  At the ends
of the cross-arms the two insulators are used as suspensions.  One up, two
down, identical
insulators.

At the bottom of the page I linked to there is another link to a page with
even more types
of insulator.  It's mostly about insulator materials and properties, but it
does also
cover post insulators (a variant of a pint insulator) and a long rod
insulator (a variant
of a suspension insulator).

One thing that occurs to me.  When I first saw the proposal calling them
line clamps,
I thought that must be industry terminology because I wouldn't have called
them
line clamps.  To my mind a line clamp would be a component in the insulator
assembly that grips the wire. After reading the pages I pointed you at, it
appears the industry
does call them what I would call them: insulators.  Your proposal appears
to be about what
the industry calls insulators but you call them line clamps.

--
Paul