[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Line clamps

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 19:48:40 UTC 2018

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 3:20 PM, Fran├žois Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>  It is Brtish *layman's* English.  It would be a good idea to check with
>> somebody who works in the industry.  But I suspect
>> he or she will tell you it's an insulator.  In British layman's English,
>> attachment is better than clamp.  I'll see if I can get
>> an answer out of somebody with a youtube channel who works with this
>> stuff (don't hold your breath).
>>

> Sounds good, let's wait a bit and see if there are more comments regarding
> this point

I had a look at the page now you've revised it.  Since your proposal covers
any kind of line attached to a pole,
even a washing line, then "insulator" isn't appropriate.  And, given the
more general applicability, attachment is a lot
better than line clamp.  However, I just thought to look at a thesaurus:
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/attachment
Of the alternatives, coupling might be better, but only marginally.  Most
of them have specific meanings with regard to
electrical distribution and attachment is the only applicable one I can see
that doesn't also have an electrical meaning
(coupling often indicates that it transmits electrical or mechanical
power).  So my vote is for attachment.

I also noticed you gave me credit on that wiki page.  But it could be read
as indicating that I was responsible for the web
page you link to, rather than that I merely found the page.  To be honest,
I don't think finding a web page merits
credit so I'd be perfectly happy if you removed that mention of me.

--
Paul