[Tagging] Put the name in sidewalks and cycleways

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 08:30:46 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 5. Aug 2018, at 20:58, SelfishSeahorse <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Because a sidewalk is a part of a road (like a separate carriageway),
> i think that it should also be tagged with the name of the road.

I agree that the name of the street also applies to its sidewalk and cycleways. Adding the name doesn’t mean that you can say with certainty to which street segment(s) the sidewalk applies, and you won’t always have one sidewalk way for one highway=*{street}, because they both can have different reasons for organizing (splitting, different attributes etc.). Also there can be orthogonal streets with the same name (i.e. if you look at names, streets aren’t necessarily linear).

Generally properties on the main highway are often a more useful representation than dedicated ways, but if you go into details it can be better to have a dedicated way (or you will have to split the main highway into lots of tiny fragments just because of properties of the sidewalks changing).

Cheers,
Martin