[Tagging] Part/whole confusion with Wikidata tag, and the need for enveloping parts into a whole

peterkrauss peter at openstreetmap.com.br
Tue Aug 7 16:36:49 UTC 2018

Em 2018-08-06 20:46, François Lacombe escreveu:
> Hi Peterkrauss,

Thanks François, important topics...

> I second the need you mention of a relation in a whole.
> Wikidata references should be unique as possible in the db.

It seems the basic premise,
   "Wikidata references should be unique as possible",
I will use your phrase from here.

There are more cases in of sample-country DE where it is not unique,
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Krauss/Wikidata-question2

> Using route or site relations when appropriate is a good solution.

Ok, lets elect the OSM Map Features that are Wikidata-good-solutions

* "type=boundary" (6,525,236 elements)

* "type=route" (30,257,877 elements!) and complements as
"type=route_master".

* ... more good solutions?

PS: "type=site" was classified with status "abandoned", at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Site

> All the best
>
> François

>> Hi,
>>
>> Seems a commom quality problem of part/whole confusion in the
>> Wikidata attribution or OSM's POI reference... And where there are a
>> need for "enveloping parts into a whole".
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> * The railway-whole concept, Anhalt Railway
>> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q319837 [1]
>>
>> * The railway-parts concept, a fragment of the Anhalt Railway,
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/539934418 [2]
>>
>> * The error: 197 fragments with the Q319837 concept
>>
>> * The need: a relation to "envelope Anhalt Railway" as a whole
>>
>> Details and more examples at
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Krauss/Wikidata-question1
>> [3]

> Links: