[Tagging] Part/whole confusion with Wikidata tag, and the need for enveloping parts into a whole

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 22:35:17 UTC 2018

Martin, the goal is not to make OSM fit to Wikidata needs (I'm not even
sure what those needs are). The goal is to make it easier to consume OSM
data.  Pretty much every single OSM data consumer I spoke with complained
of how difficult it is to use OSM data - let's try to help them.

For this specific case, the railroad stations consumer would probably want
a single raiway station, not multiples, so they are easier to analyze,
easier to query by matching it up with wikidata, etc. Railroad station can
have multiple parts, but so do many other things, and we tend to put common
things in a relation for them. Why would you want railroad stations tagged
differently, and duplicate the same wikidata tag on every part of it?