[Tagging] place nodes for continents?

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 22:49:16 UTC 2018

Le 07. 08. 18 à 15:53, Colin Smale a écrit :
> On 2018-08-07 15:43, marc marc wrote:
>
>> I think there's too much redundancy in using is_in:continent.
>> it is useless, for example, to say that a street + the municipality
>> + the region + the country is all in the same continent.
>> it is enough to tag the largest polygon with is_in:continent and erase
>> those that provide the same information redundantly on objects included
>> in that polygon.
>> this would limit the number of is_in:continent to one per country or a
>> few per country for countries with very scattered territories (e.g.
>> overseas territories for France)
> There are several countries that span multiple continents... Russia,
> Turkey, Spain and indeed France for example.
> This possibly demonstrates at least two sorts of continent: "political"
> and "geographic." Other continent types are available.

true, but with both political or geographic "is_in:continent" meaning,
no need to duplicate the tag to all the houses, nor all the roads,
nor all the cities.

it's enought to put it at the highest possible level (country or
one-level under for the few country spanned accrose several continent)

I will propose cleaning in the local communities where I am active and
it would be useful for other countries/regions to do the same.

Regards,
Marc