[Tagging] Part/whole confusion with Wikidata tag, and the need for enveloping parts into a whole

Nelson A. de Oliveira naoliv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 01:18:44 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 9:22 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrakhan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nelson, there are several places I have seen in our wiki, e.g. [1], which
> discourage duplication of information if it can be avoided. name is a
> special case - it helps mappers to quickly identify what the object
> represents. If we duplicated everything, than each part of a railroad
> station should have duplicate web site URL, hours of operation, operator
> name, and tons of other info. Having duplicates lead to inconsistencies,
> harder to maintain, etc.  For example, if two parts of the station have
> different hours of operation - is that a mistake (someone forgot to update
> both), or is it intentional? Which one of two is correct? Having a rule to
> keep common info in a relation unless it is different makes data more
> valuable and less error-prone.

I was talking about any object.
And I fail to see what exactly is *wrong* in having multiple parts of
an object with the same wikidata; it's not really duplication.

We don't create relations to avoid repeating surface, lanes, name, etc
on every part of a highway, for example.
Using relations also has the drawback of creating complexity for most
of the users in OSM (and sometimes even for the data consumers),
specially if the main objective here is to solely avoid non-unique
wikidata values.