[Tagging] Slash, space, or spaced hyphen in multi-lingual names

SelfishSeahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 18:53:04 UTC 2018

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 20:03, Daniel McCormick <mccormick at kaartgroup.com> wrote:
> I propose that only one language is used for the name= tag. This will help to create a standard for naming that will bring clarity and consistency. If multiple languages are used in the area, place the most commonly used language in the name=* field and then the other languages in the appropriate name:en=*, name:fr=*, and so on. This will ensure that the data is specifically catalogued for routing software, while providing the opportunity for users of data to specify the language they desire to read the map in. In the end I suppose it would just be a matter of seeing both all the time or not but if we use the name:(insert whatever desired language here)=* we ensure a more specific and catalogued database for OSM globally.
>
> An example of this the Greek method where they have
> name=Μητροπόλεως
> name:el=Μητροπόλεως
> name:en=Mitropoleos street
>
> In Greece if I use a routing software, I can easily tell it to show me name:en or name:el for whatever I need to see at the time. Rather then using hyphen, slash or space I propose we use this method for distinguishing different translations in our naming scheme

I think it depends on whether the language of the second name on the
street sign is spoken at that place or not, i.e. if it is a bilingual
place or not. If it is not – like in Greece –, then I think your
example makes sense. However, if it is – like for example in
Biel/Bienne [^1] – then I would put both names in the name=* tag.

[^1]: <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2005-Biel-Quellgasse.jpg>