[Tagging] Fwd: Missing access value (access=license / authorization?)

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 01:17:07 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 6:01 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick
<graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 August 2018 at 07:24, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> maybe the way wasn’t impassable before and now it is, I don’t see why it would be nonsense to state it. Maybe the way is still passable, but you‘ll die of nuclear radiation? There are infinite possibilities why a way or area would be made legally inaccessible for everyone, although it doesn’t occur very often, usually there will be exceptions.
>
> We actually have this situation at the moment, only not with radiation!
>
> A dedicated walking track (no vehicles, bikes or horses) round the front of a National Park headland has been closed for several months following a land-slide, & due to the risk of further slips, while they work on stabilising the hill side, so it will be access=no on a path.

OK, we're officially off in the weeds here. (But all apparently
reading from the same page, which is good.) 'No' means 'you cannot',
'private' means 'you may not.'

I'd call the nuclear radiation 'invisblly impassable', but OK, the way
is still visible.  An 'abandoned' lifecycle prefix might be in order
too, since a way in that condition is rather unlikely to be
maintained!

I'd map the way with the landslide as abandoned:highway=footway or
construction:highway=footway, but I suppose that access=no isn't too
long a stretch. I have a similar situation locally with a
highway=tertiary that was wiped out by a landslide. It's still open to
the handful of people who live along it (who have keys to the gates),
but has a stretch in the middle that's passable only on foot. At the
moment I have it as highway=path, motor_vehicle=no,
abandoned:highway=tertiary, and it still belongs to its route
relation, since it's still signed, "County Road 59." (I should mark it
as highway=unclassified motor_vehicle=private up to the actual
blockage, but it's in the bottom of a deep and narrow canyon with
dense tree cover, and so far I've always lost GPS signal when trying
to map the closed section.)

I once saw a sign reading, "All hope abandon, ye who enter
unauthorized!" access=private access:authority=Dante? The way was not
paved with good intentions. :)