[Tagging] How to tag small canals?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:11:30 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>
wrote:

> Creek is certainly used in Essex.

I didn't say it wasn't used.  Or even that it wasn't used to denote a wide
stream.  However, it also has other meanings.
Such as a wide tidal bay to a marsh on an estuary.  Like one near me.  It's
as wide as the river it feeds into but what
feeds into it is a narrow stream.  And it's called, by the wildlife trust
that owns that area, a creek (which it is, by one
definition).

The problem with creek is the different meanings.  You can guarantee that
some would use it to mean small stream, as
it would be defined in the wike and others would use it to map tidal inlets
because they're named "Foo Creek" and therefore
waterway=creek is the obvious and natural tag to use.

--
Paul