[Tagging] residents only after hours

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Aug 21 18:44:27 UTC 2018

On 8/21/2018 2:27 PM, SelfishSeahorse wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 19:33, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>> If it's private, then access=yes is arguably not right, as permission is
>> granted to the public, vs the public having a right of access.
>>
>> So I would use
>>
>> access=permissive
>>
>> instead of yes.  But this is a far larger issue than this one place; it
>> arguably applies to all paths on private land (that aren't a public
>> right-of-way of course) where it's basically ok for the public to go.
> You are right, i was wrong. :-) Thanks for correcting me!
>
> access=destination
> access:conditional=permissive @ (Oct-Apr 07:00-20:00; May-Sep 07:00-22:30)
>
> Regards
> Markus

In this case, I believe (not 100% sure) public access to this area is
officially required due to concessions made by the building developer in
order to get approval for the project. It's common in NYC for developers
to negotiate with the city council and create and maintain public space
in return for some exceptions to zoning regulations, etc. The result is
something called POPS -- Privately owned public space. The most famous
instance of this is Zuccotti Park in Manhattan, which was the home of
the "Occupy Wall Street" protests for two months in 2011. It was posited
at the time that, because public access to the park was guaranteed 24/7,
the protesters could not legally be removed. Of course, they eventually
were anyway.

In the case I'm tagging, this is simply an asphalt road used during the
construction of the building that the developer has blocked with giant
flowerpots and plopped a few benches on, presumably to comply with
promises to create public space. Not much of a park. But because it runs
between two streets, I think it's important to map it. Obviously they've
learned their lesson about guaranteeing 24/7 public access.