[Tagging] residents only after hours

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Aug 22 16:22:54 UTC 2018

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 21. Aug 2018, at 19:31, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>>
>> If it's private, then access=yes is arguably not right, as permission is
>> granted to the public, vs the public having a right of access.
>

> “private” (not the osm key) is about private ownership. This doesn’t
> exclude a public right of access/way (the osm tag is about
> access). access=yes can be right for a publicly owned way (not for all
> of them of course, but it depends on the legal situation)

True; I was getting at public right of way vs permissive, separately
from ownership.

In this case, given the explanation that there's an agreement between
the owner and the city to permit public access at certain times, that
certainly meets the public right of way test.

In the US, there are a vast number of places where the public goes (at
normal hours), and they are not in fact public rights of way.  A typical
supermarket or other shopping area has parking lots, and footpaths, etc.
In OSM we typically don't have access tags on them.   But if we did,
access=permissive is more likely right than access=yes.