[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:05:35 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 8:18 PM Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to decide tagging for slow-vehicle turnouts consisting of a lane added to the right side (in the U.S.) of the road so that slow moving vehicles can pull aside to allow following vehicles to pass. The best I can come up with is the tag highway=passing_place but strangely it applies only to nodes. I'm looking for examples from the real world similar to the one in this JOSM screenshot. I've selected both the passing lanes to color them red so you can see them.
>
> I had been using a variable number of lanes to describe the situation but these two passing_places are offset making using the lanes tags cumbersome to apply, 4 separate pieces, lanes going in different directions, oneway sections, etc. According to the Wiki, the passing_place tag is to be used only on nodes. (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpassing_place) Why this should be so, I do not understand.

lanes:forward=* and lanes:backward=* is the best that I've found so
far to describe truck climbing lanes and similar features. They don't
appear in your image to be grade-separated, so they don't need to be
separate ways - one way for each section of the road, with appropriate
lanes:forward and lanes:backward appears to describe what's on the
ground.