[Tagging] horse mounting/dismounting steps

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:50:12 UTC 2018

On 28/08/18 20:39, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-08-28 at 12:17 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> <mailto:pla16021 at gmail.com>>:
>>> My vote would be for amenity rather than man_made.  Amenities are
>>> something people (whether general
>>> public, or customers, or members) use.  Man_made is usually for
>>> objects that are used mainly by employees.
>>>

>> I'm not decided, but want to bring the following point to
>> consideration: Amenities are usually something for (a significant
>> part of) society in general. Yes, schools are only for those who have
>> children, hospitals only for those who are ill (potentially everyone
>> though), and post offices only for who still sends paper mail or
>> parcels.
> Post offices are far more important than just sending mail.

That will depend on the services offered by the post office.. and that
can be a local issue.

Hospitals are not only for the ill, but for anyone wanting medical
assistance e.g. a broken limb, child birth.

  I think 'we' have all been children, then schools have been of some
use for, I hope, all of us.

>> Still, these are significant parts (in number) of the population.
>> Opposed to this, horse riding is a small fraction of society, and in
>> rapid decline as well. These are numbers for the UK (numbers might be
>> tainted, as they are from the horse riding industry):
>> "The overall number of those who ride has fallen, from 3.5 million in
>> 2011 to 2.7 million in 2015. There has been a decline in regular
>> riders, from 1.6 million in 2011 to 1.3 million in 2015." [1] This
>> equals to just 2-4% of the British population, for the overwhelming
>> majority, these blocks are useless.
>> [1]
>> http://www.beta-uk.org/pages/industry-information/market-information.php
>>
> Horse riding has long ceased to be a method of transport, but is a
> popular leisure activity. Whilst it is common to see horses out on the
> road, its quite rare to see them outside the local shops.

Horses are still preferred by some for mustering stock in some parts of
the world.
And then then there are the Amish... apparently Wal-Mart provides
covered shelters for their horse and buggy.
So they are still a part of working life for some.

> I am not sure that these blocks are of any use in modern horse riding,
> I have never seen them used but are historic features that date back
> to a time when they were transport and used to get to the pub, shops
> or market.
>
> I would use the historic tag so that they fit in with other preserved
> features.

As others have said ... old does not mean historic.