[Tagging] What is the height of this wall?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 12:52:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 1:32 PM, dktue <email at daniel-korn.de> wrote:

have a look at this wall from the waterside [1]: It's probably 3 meter
> high. On the otherhand, from the other side [2] it's only about 80cm high.
> What is the height I should insert into the height-tag?

Map it as barrier=retaining_wall, with the lower side on the right side of
the way direction, as per
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier=retaining_wall

The wiki page makes no mention of how to specify the height.  You'll
probably have to invent height:low_side and
height:high_side for it.  Or something like that.  Yes, height:left and
height:right fit better with the "lower side on right"
convention but is hard for people using the query feature of the map to
interpret.

I expect several people will be along with better names.  And others will
be along to say you shouldn't specify
the height at all.  If a concensus ever arises (in about 14 months, going
by other threads) then you can use it
and amend the wiki page.

--
Paul