[Tagging] why do we discourage leisure=skatepark/skate_park?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 22:36:02 UTC 2018

On 31/08/18 08:08, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 at 04:51, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:sport%3Dskateboard
>

> I'm with everyone else in that I can't see anything wrong with
> leisure=skatepark; or alternatively as Kevin suggested
> leisure=sports_centre.
>
> One thing I'm curious about from the wiki though:
>
> "Add this sport tag to any element .
>
> Since this is a *non-physical* tag it should be combined with other
> (physical) tags, eg:
>
>   * leisure <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:leisure>=pitch
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dpitch>"
>

> What are "non-physical" & "physical" tags?

:)

I too don't think the 'non-physical' thing is that useful.

I think there should be a better description.

To me things like sport=*, surface=* and width=* are what I call 'sub
tags' - they add detail to some feature be it a road, a building. etc

They might be of the 'group' properties
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Properties

and that says
"This is used to give additional information of a general nature about
another element."