[Tagging] Tourism=attraction: feature or secondary tag?

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Wed Dec 5 12:54:08 UTC 2018

W dniu 05.12.2018 o 11:40, Christoph Hormann pisze:
> It would certainly be good to stop rendering it to incentivize mappers
> to choose more meaningful tags instead but it also should be said that
> this is essentially a case of 'damage done' - the tag is already
> meaningless, stopping to render it would help better tagging in the
> future, it would not in any way add meaning to the tag as it is already
> used.

While I agree with your description of attraction tag, I am not sure if
this would help. If this is tagging for rendering, you can render more
features, so cheating would not be needed (and we do it at OSM Carto),
but stopping to render it might as well make people abuse other tags.

People are not that simple, imposing something is not a sure way of
reaching some goal, it can easily backfire.

> We have however many other tags where OSM-Carto recently added or
> changed rendering in ways that provide mapping incentives agaist the
> established meaning of the tags.

I'm not sure what are you talking about (most probably I just don't
share your point of view), but I don't remember such cases.

--
"Excuse me, I have some growing up to do" [P. Gabriel]