[Tagging] Can OSM become a geospacial database?

Imre Samu pella.samu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 20:08:48 UTC 2018

> If I live next to a place called 'Hudson Bay' then I put name='Hudson
Bay' even if some may argue it may not be a Bay.

We can link most of the objects to the Wikidata
https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=1282777       ->
wikidata=Q3040  ->  https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q3040 ->   *instance of
["inland sea" ;  "bay" ]*

So if somebody don't like the osm categories ( for query ),   it is
possible to use the Wikidata categories

Eiffel tower :   https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q243
instance of
-  lattice tower
-  observation tower
-  landmark
-  tourist destination

So with linked data (wikidata, lau numbers )  - we can extend the power of
the OSM
One of the example:  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sophox  ( some
query is not working yet )

Imre