[Tagging] Can OSM become a geospacial database?

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 21:35:16 UTC 2018

Le 05. 12. 18 à 20:20, Eugene Podshivalov a écrit :
> Marc,
>
>     the "lake of the 4 cantons" in Switzerland is called the "lake of
>     the 4 cantons". If you ask someone where "of the 4 cantons" are
>     located,
>     he don't understand what you're talking about because that not its
>     name.
>
> Would you be understoon if you ask someone "where is 'The 4 cantons""?

not at all !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantons_of_Switzerland
Switzerland has 26 cantons and if you ask where the 4 cantons are, you
will be asked which one ? those from the north? those speaking French?
those from the plain? in short, "the 4 cantons" mean nothing.
the lake of the 4 cantons+ is the real and complete name of a lake.
it is so called because at one point in the past, it was spread over
4 cantons. but nothing at this place is called "4 cantons" without
the word lake. and currently the lake is spread over 5 cantons :)

Le 05. 12. 18 à 20:31, Eugene Podshivalov a écrit :
 > How do you find all french ecoles?

may I ask you if it's your first use of osm ?
to look for all french ecoles : amenity=school in France
for ex with overpass https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Ej3
you may also look for all french "ecoles" without a name in osm!
if you want to said that amenity=school return several subtype
then you need a "sub-tag", France do it with school:FR
and maybe one day, a international sub-tag 'll be used
But in all case, it's fully wrong to parse the name tag for this.

Regards,
Marc