[Tagging] Can OSM become a geospacial database?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 00:29:14 UTC 2018

I forgot to mention that it is already possible to add “озеро” with
expiation alternative name tags. For example, here in Indonesia a river
might have
waterway=river
name=Baliem
name:id=Sungai Baliem
name:en=Baliem River
alt_name:id=Kali Baliem
“Sungai” is the word for river in standard Indonesian and “Kali” is a
dialectal variant.

So in Russia it might be appropriate to tag Lake Baikal like this:
natural=water
water=lake
name=Байкал
name:ru=Байкал
name:en=Lake Baikal
alt_name:ru=Байкал озеро
(Or is it “озеро Байкал“?)

WITh this tagging, a search for “озеро” and “Байкал” should work fine.

This may also help foreign visitors who might not know the Russian word for
lake.

-Joseph