[Tagging] Tourism=attraction: feature or secondary tag?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Dec 6 09:47:01 UTC 2018

On Thursday 06 December 2018, Yves wrote:
> tourism=attraction can be added to a lot of features indeed, that's
> why I think the label rendering in OSM-carto is a good idea because
> you will probably never find a common rendering to encompass this
> variety.

Your desire for this is somewhat understandable - but this clashes with
the current documented goals of OSM-Carto and the aim of OSM to map the
verifiable geography and not subjective opinions.

> But on another topic, where does the idea of 'primary' and
> 'secondary' tags I read here and there and more and more often comes
> from? Are we making a map of the world in its complexity or what?
> Yves

Secondary tags refers to tags that have no distinct meaning on their
own.  Think of a feature that has an 'access=no' tag or
an 'intermittent=yes' tag and no other tags - these do not make any
sense on their own, the only get meaning together with other tags (like
a highway or waterway tag in these cases).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/