[Tagging] Can OSM become a geospacial database?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 12:36:55 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 6. Dec 2018, at 13:17, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am pursonally not in favour of the solution with category names in the "name" but have mentioned it because it is currently used in every country for highway=residential ways.

there is no way we could/would change the definition of the name tag.
It is for the name, whether that comprises a “category name” or not depends on the culture/language and instance, whether or not the category is part of the name (Deutschland, United Kingdom, United States of America, to name a few obvious, Bodensee, Lake Erie, Lago di Como, New York City, Feldberg, Mont Blanc, ....)  has to be decided with solid knowledge of the language and context, on an individual basis.

Cheers, Martin