[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Mapping disputed boundaries (Version 1.3)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 10:41:39 UTC 2018

On 05/12/2018 18:52, Johnparis wrote:
> I have just posted another revised version of my proposal on mapping
> disputed boundaries.
>
> It greatly simplifies the tagging and relation structure.

One thing that would be really helpful would be to summarise those
changes somewhere.  There's a whole page at the top of
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Mapping_disputed_boundaries
devoted to contents; nothing there suggests what has changed.  The
difference between 1.2 and now
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features%2FMapping_disputed_boundaries&type=revision&diff=1704857&oldid=1702873
doesn't really help, except to show that the tagging has moved somewhat
away from a "rewrite of all OSM boundaries" towards at least some of the
tagging that we have now.

> Thanks to everyone who gave public and private feedback. I've archived
> some of the comments that are no longer applicable.
>
> The proposal is here:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Mapping_disputed_boundaries

Thanks also for adding the
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/ClaimedBorders#Comparison_with_other_proposal
section to the other proposal.  I've commented there why I think
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/ClaimedBorders is
probably easier to implement, easier to use, and easier to maintain than
this one, but there is still some useful detail here - not least the
definitions, including things like "Claiming Entity"

Arguably the biggest difference between the two proposals (and between
yours and what OSM does now) is that your proposal talks only about land
areas - I suspect that that will make yours difficult to implement at
all; and (as many people have said) we definitely need a solution here.

Best Regards,

Andy