[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Railway tracks on highway

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Dec 9 19:45:29 UTC 2018

In Kraków, Poland trams and train use the same gauge and in
theory it is  possible to build vehicle that would travel both on
tram tracks and railway tracks.

But railway tracks are build to withstand significantly heavier
vehicles and with massive differences in curve radius:

railway curve with small radius:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.0433&mlon=19.9617#map=15/50.0433/19.9617 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.0433&mlon=19.9617#map=15/50.0433/19.9617>

tram tracks curve with small radius:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.0438&mlon=19.9471#map=15/50.0438/19.9471 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.0438&mlon=19.9471#map=15/50.0438/19.9471>

So I would expect a difference.

BTW, first tram in Kraków had deliberately narrow gauge to make impossible
to convert it into railway tracks through a city center.

Dec 9, 2018, 5:37 PM by selfishseahorse at gmail.com: