[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Railway tracks on highway

Nikulainen, Jukka K jukka.nikulainen at helsinki.fi
Mon Dec 10 08:12:02 UTC 2018

Hello all!

And thank you all for the good points. Indeed Markus' suggestion of a general embedded_rails=yes tag would be a very good idea and addition! I'll soon update the proposal to reflect this.

The reason I added the =subway tag was that I realized that in Helsinki the subway network connects to the railway network (both have the same gauge) in two points and parts of these connecting railways are embedded in highways. But you are right that (almost) all the tag values possible for the railway key could be given to this tag too (perhaps excluding monorail, since they run above the highways).

A more general response to the question of why include all the possible railway-tags and not just a general "=yes"-tag would be the (entirely sincere and nonsarcastic) "why not?". In particular the "=abandoned" and "=disused" tags would I think be of great distinguishing value. For example car drivers could be interested whether a given section of a highway has possible railway traffic or not, whereas bicycles should be warned of the existence of rail tracks on a highway irrespective of possible traffic on them.

Thank you all and keep the comments coming!

Sincerely,
Jukka