[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Ephemeral a water property key.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 23:48:43 UTC 2018

On 13/12/18 12:48, Sergio Manzi wrote:

> On 2018-12-13 02:36, Warin wrote:
>> At the moment developing a system to render seasonal values on
>> requires a  determination on spring/summer/autumn/winter etc .. this
>> would add some new terms. Not too hard but does add to things.
>
> Also developing a system to render the ephemeral key would add some
> complexity, probably more...
>
>> Not certain about ephemeral being subservient to intermittent.
>
> If it is not there all of the time, than it is intermittent.
>
> If it doesn't last long, than it is ephemeral (/but then it is not
> there all of the time and thus it is intermittent too/).

The primary motivation for me is that a water feature with intermittent
is more likely to have water, even it I have to dig a meter or two for
it, than a water feature with ephemeral.

I don't expect a 'normal' map will tell me this. But a desert map should.

I would map the ephemeral river banks/courses.
But then the places where water pools to form more permanent water
sources I would as natural=water, intermittent=yes. In this way they can
be distinguished as a more probable source of water.
Some satellite imagery shows these .. but then some shows the area just
after rain! So it requires some judgements.

I'll add this as a rationale ...