[Tagging] Building names, historical/original owner?

Michael Patrick geodesy99 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 01:49:38 UTC 2018

> I have a question about `name=` and variants of names. I've been reading
a lot of local history and in the architecture/history world, houses are
generally named for the first resident that they were built for.
E.g."Johnson house" and are referred to in this way even after many
generations of new owners. ... For some of these buildings they are
commonly referred to by the public using this historical-owner name. For
example the "Osborne house" ...  in my town was referred to as such in
public meetings and newspapers several years ago .. ... Especially in the
case of a building taken up by a single business, locals will simply refer
to the building as the ... or some other tag?

For at least part of this use case, these are known as 'landmark' buildings
( and other things, like the 'Blue Star Highway
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Star_Memorial_Highway>' or 'Lincoln
Highway <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Highway>"), and they have
that designation whether they've been moved, etc. The name reflects the
original builder, owner, company, congregation, ranch, farm, etc. The
landmark status can official
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Historic_Landmark> ( local, state,
federal ) or not ( usually the case in rural areas ).

There seems to already be some tags along these lines in taginfo,
landmark_building, and landmark with a key value of building.
,