[Tagging] how to map soft story/soft storey buildings properly?

Stefano Maffulli smaffulli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 23:42:14 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 1:17 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> no, this clearly isn’t a suitable key because the soft story property from
> what you wrote above is about a structural detail in some floors while
> building structure is about the general structural system of a building or
> part of it.

"soft story" is actually an attribute of the whole building, not just one
floor. It's a recognized classification of a structural characteristic of
buildings.

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 1:35 AM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is really trying to be tagged?

Good question. For disaster preparedness and response, it is valuable to
have a list of soft story buildings in a neighborhood. There are multiple
places where such buildings are mapped like https://sfdbi.org/softstory,
http://softstory.openoakland.org/,
http://www.ladbs.org/services/core-services/plan-check-permit/plan-check-permit-special-assistance/mandatory-retrofit-programs/soft-story-retrofit-program

> The earthquake susceptibility of a building/structure? In that case use
> some words to indicate that?
> earthquake_susceptibility=soft_story ?
>
> There are other things that are earthquake susceptible too, so it needs to
> be able tag them too.

Sounds like it would be complicating the model. There are too many ways by
which a building would be susceptible to quakes.

So far, building:soft_storey:y/n seems to be the least controversial way to
tag these buildings. Any other thoughts? I'll propose it for formal review
if there are no major blockers.

thanks,
/stef