[Tagging] how to map soft story/soft storey buildings properly?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue Dec 18 20:52:49 UTC 2018

> On Dec 17, 2018, at 2:17 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> The bigger problem could be verifiability. OSM is about crowd sourced geodata while this property seems to require expert capabilities and additional information you cannot get non-destructively on the ground?

For what it is worth, the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training I took a while back included a session on earthquake damage including how to identify soft storey construction. CERT is a local citizen response system in the United States and seems to be implemented, sometimes with different names, in most cities in the country. Since earthquake response is an important thing in California there were a number of sessions dedicated to response including quick survey for levels of damage to buildings, setting up evacuation areas, establishing communications with the official fire/rescue/law enforcement agencies, etc.

All this is to say that in an earthquake prone area there are likely to be a fair number of people unassociated with official emergency response, building trades, engineering, etc., who have had at least an introduction to identifying buildings that are suspect for structural issues in an earthquake.

Cheers!