[Tagging] Benefits of namespaces

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 21:24:51 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:20:35PM +0100, Claudius Henrichs wrote:
> I couldn't be happier to have the "Benefits of namespaces" discussion happening right now on this ML.
>
> I am about to finalize a tagging proposal for a new sub-tag. I am wondering about the pros and cons of the traditional "OSM tag chain" (foo=bar + bar=baz) versus "Laymans namespacing" (foo=bar + bar:type=baz). I've laid out what I found on the forum and would be curious to learn what your recommendation be.

the OSM tag chain should be imho used only for very common things because each member
of the chain will turn up as a "top level" tag in the database and taginfo.
If used extensively for attributes I would consider it polution of the database.
It is also much less flexible as you can specify only one attribute at a time.

Richard