[Tagging] Walking route on a beach

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 00:04:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 at 10:27, Sergio Manzi <smz at smz.it> wrote:
> Why don't you use trail_visibility=no on the sections of path which are invisible as they are just plain beach? Routing will not be affected (it will work...).

I agree. I think trail_visibility=no + surface=sand (or whatever the
beach surface) is essential so that data consumers know this is just
walking on the beach and there is no special infrastructure there like
a boardwalk.

In my opinion, it would be better to not add the highway=footway
unless it's market out with sign posts or something, ideally routing
engines would be able to route across a beach area from footways that
connect to either end, but most routing engines struggle with routing
over areas.