[Tagging] Walking route on a beach

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Fri Dec 21 16:21:10 UTC 2018

On Thu, December 20, 2018 1:04 am, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 at 10:27, Sergio Manzi <smz at smz.it> wrote:
>> Why don't you use trail_visibility=no on the sections of path which are
>> invisible as they are just plain beach? Routing will not be affected (it
>> will work...).
>
> I agree. I think trail_visibility=no + surface=sand (or whatever the
> beach surface) is essential so that data consumers know this is just
> walking on the beach and there is no special infrastructure there

I agree that highway=path with the above precisions are an expedient model
to represent beach routing, but it is nevertheless most often a hack to
work around lack of routing across area features.

So, I'll gladly use highway=path + surface=sand + trail_visibility=no but
how to handle a walking route on a beach is actually a discussion about
routing - and a well-worn one:
-
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305272744_Integrating_Open_Spaces_into_OpenStreetMap_Routing_Graphs_for_Realistic_Crossing_Behaviour_in_Pedestrian_Navigation
- https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/64