[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 11:44:06 UTC 2018

Find by name; POI-maps for target groups; list/select suitable starting
places for recreational routes; link to other data sources such as
wikipedia and operator's website; use in route-by-POI applications (e.g.
cycling node network routing).

For a particular trailhead, display and use information about transport
modes for nearby trails/routes. Tags: hiking=yes, canoe=yes, bicycle=yes,
MTB=yes etc, which allows selections/filters for mapping and listing.

In Nederland, OSM is the only database that has all the named ('official')
trailheads with reasonaby precise locations and details. Links to webpages
guide the users to lists of named routes and networks per trailhead.

Op zo 23 dec. 2018 om 11:30 schreef Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com>:

> I think the parking place for the Precipice walk in Wales
> (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/394294583) which also has a toilet
> and a picnic table would be considered a trailhead.
> There is also a nice sign
> https://xian.smugmug.com/Vacation/Wales-2018/i-hC7kWcK/A to tell you
> that you are at the right place to start the walk
> (http://dolgellau.wales/walks/precipice-walk.php)
>
> But given that all the facilities and paths are mapped, I wonder which
> additional information "trailhead" brings in this case.
>
> m.
>
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 2:31 PM Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can you give a few examples of what trailheads are to you?  There's a
> clearly defined American concept, it isn't not really used much in British
> English.  Also what do you mean by "official" below - is there some kind of
> VVV list or similar?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > On 21/12/2018 11:54, Peter Elderson wrote:
> >
> > I would like to revive the trailhead proposal,
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/trailhead
> >
> > After discussions in the Dutch user community, a list of all Dutch
> trailheads was compiled and systematically entered as nodes tagged
> highway=trailhead, name=<official trailhead name>, tourism=information,
> information=board or map. Many trailheads were already present in OSM,
> there we just did some additional tagging.
> >
> > In the US, trailheads are all maintained on OSM by a national operator.
> Japan has lots of trailheads, I don't know how they are maintained. In
> Europe, no systematical OSM-tagging appears to take place, except for the
> Dutch base.
> >
> > I think it deserves a push.
> >
> > Any thoughts on the matter?
> >
> > --