[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Top up

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Dec 27 10:44:20 UTC 2018

There is a substantial difference between tagging a limited set of
physical properties (and yes clearly some of this could have been done
as a list too)  that are known in advance vs. moving an essentially
unbounded list of fantasy names in to key space.

The argument that semi-colons shouldn't be used is specious, what is
correct is that the semantics of a key with a list should be documents,
but once that has been done there is no reason not to do so.

As to the argument with recording non-supported vendors 99.9% of this is
simply whataboutism, if you can really make a case that you need to
explicitly record that instead of relying on default semantics, you can
simply add a key for that.

Am 26.12.2018 um 16:46 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 26. Dec 2018, at 15:08, Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Tag-proposals in the form
>> <tag_attr_name>:<type_value->[:<subtype_value>]=yes/no should be
>> avoided. It's shifting values to attribute names!
>
> it’s not a value, it‘s a property ;-)
> it depends on your interpretation, e.g. motorroad=yes
> oneway=yes
>
> aren’t these values and we should tag them
> road_restrictions=motorroad;oneway?
>

> top_up:phone=yes
> means: provides phone top up.
> For practical reason, I would expect a scheme
> characteristic_I_need_to_know=yes/no
>
> much easier to evaluate than one like:
> some_services=foo;characteristic_I_need_to_know;bar

This is being directly disingenuous, because what is a actually being
proposed is

characteristic_I_need_to_know:random_string=yes

.... 1000+ more random strings.