[Tagging] Feature Proposal – RFC – place=peninsula

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:12:44 UTC 2018

On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 at 19:05, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Is there an upper cut-off where things stop being a peninsula?
>
> Hmmm ... not really.
>
> No indeed! When I did some looking into it, Europe can actually be
considered to be a peninsula off Asia!

> is there a difference to a “cape”? What about a promontory? Shall we
> distinguish these, and if yes how and according to which criteria?

Same thing then applies to headland & isthmus? The natural=cape wiki makes
reference to See Also natural-isthmus (but the page doesn't exist!) & lists
natural=headland (also doesn't exist) as a Possible Tagging Mistake. Why?

When I've looked at a few headlands I know, a couple of them are listed as
place=locality, name=Indian Head, which, to me, doesn't really ring true?

I would think all of these should come under natural=xxxxx, & should be
mapped as they are named: =headland, =cape, =peninsula, =promontory etc etc

Thanks

Graeme