[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Top up

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 13:37:09 UTC 2018

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 at 12:58, Daniele Santini <danysan95 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I updated the proposal page with the new tags:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Top_up
> Check it out.

The final image on your proposal, of a PayPoint sign, reminded me of yet
another complication (at
least in the UK).  Along with the yellow-and-black PayPoint logo is a
green-and-white Top-Up logo.

I have so far been unable to find much detail on the Top-Up logo, but
here's what I have found.

1.  The Top-Up logo indicates a place which sells top-ups for mobile phones
and nothing further may
be inferred.  Yes, if it's a PayPoint system you can top up your
electricity key and pay your gas bill as well
as top up youir mobile phone, but the Top-Up logo only guarantees you can
top up your mobile there.

2) It appears that Top-Up may be some sort of agreement between several
payment processors.  I
have not found anything indicating who may display the logo but I know that
both PayPoint and
Payzone networks use it, as does the Tesco supermarket chain.  Whether it's
a formal consortium
or not is something I have not been able to determine.  The UK's 4 major
Mobile Network Operators
and many of the virtual MNOs simply say that you can top up their phones
where you see the Top-Up
logo.   See, for example,
https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/billing-usage-and-top-up/topping-up-and-balance/how-can-i-top-up-my-phone#article-title-5

So prepaid_top_up:network=top-up.  Ugh!  And it's probably not a network as
such but an agreement
amongst payment processors and MNOs.

--
Paul