[Tagging] Proposed features - RFC - Power and pipeline substations functions

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 23:34:10 UTC 2018

Hi,

I recently found out that current tagging for substations (power or
pipelines) with substation=* key actually merge two distinct concepts.
It deals with hierarchy levels and specific network functions a substation
can host.
It's hardly possible to document the substation=* key properly with the
values voted in the last pipeline extension proposal.
Main issue is a "compression substation" can also be a transmission or
distribution substation and it hasn't been solved during the review process.

I wrote a new proposal to move the less used values of substation=* in more
detailed and dedicated functions subkeys.
It also adds substation=generation (formerly substation=transmission) and
substation=delivery which are missing currently.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Substation_functions

This not-so-big change on < 2000 existing objects (out of +300k power
substations and 7k pipeline substations) would enable OSM to have a better
matching with IEC definitions and a more usable tagging. We will be able to
tag more objects with substation tagging (delivery substation mainly) than
before.
Most of function subkeys has defaults that allow us to add them on specific
situations if required only.

I'll add more example before vote start (surely next Febuary or March
depending on how RFC goes)

All the best

François