[Tagging] how to map soft story/soft storey buildings properly?

Stefano Maffulli smaffulli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 01:02:19 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 3:44 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> usually the answer to this is we do not want to be merely redistributing
> authoritative data that OSM mappers can not improve.

Sorry, I am not making myself clear enough. This data can be modified and
improved by OSM mappers. It's not that different from power/switch/voltage,
primary/secondary data discussed recently or other data, like VHF channels
in harbors/waterways. It's data that is available to trained people. For
San Francisco specifically mappers can rely on the public dataset to
double-check and in other parts of the world they can follow more
appropriate rules.

It's also worth reiterating that a tag of this sort already exists in the
database, although it's not officially recognized.