[Tagging] request for review: OSM wiki rewording of tourism=motel based on Wikipedia

Tobias Wrede list at tobias-wrede.de
Mon Dec 31 15:16:31 UTC 2018

In Germany my experience is that actually most hotels in the cities
charge for parking. On the other hand you find very very few that call
themselves "motel". I can only think of one currently that does, and it
is located within a motorway rest area. The exception is the chain Motel
One which is a very typical _h_otel often located in city centers
offering only limited parking.

When I think of a motel I always picture those with doors opening to the
car park from US movies. Now that several comments here indicate that
the only practical distinction today is the name on the front sign I
come to think that we could abandon the tag altogether. What value does
it generate for the data consumer if tourism=motel and tourism=hotel is
all but the same and practical distinction could for both be made by
subtags parking=y/n, parking:fee=y/n, etc?

Tobias