[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 15:21:53 UTC 2018

I think tagging trailheads as nodes would work for the great majority of
the trailheads I've seen over the years. The first node of a designated
footway can be tagged as highway=trailhead, a name or other related tagging
added to that, and other amenities such as parking lots, waste bins,
toilets and the like can be tagged as nodes, or in some cases, relations.
Many of the trailheads I've mapped have no other facilities associated with
them, they are merely the beginning of a designated footway or hiking
trail. In the definition in the Wiki, one could make it legal for relations
to be tagged this way in order to accommodate those trailheads that
encompass a range of amenities along with the trailhead itself.

Dave

PS: Happy New Year 2019

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 9:52 PM Tobias Wrede <list at tobias-wrede.de> wrote:

> Hi eveyone,
>
> Am 21.12.2018 um 19:55 schrieb Peter Elderson:
> > Well, in Nederland I'm through, got them all. To initiate a rendering
> > on osm-carto the usage should increase by some 500+ (now on 1400+). I
> > need Germany or Italy!
>
> While on vacation I have mapped trail heads in the US pretty much the
> way Kenny has described it. I've never come across the trail head tag so
> far. In the US trail heads I have encountered were often marked as such
> having some signpost giving information on length, difficulty,
> accessibility etc. And often there was a road sign saying "xyz trail
> head". Often there is a single or very few trails departing there and
> each trail only has one or two access points that are called a trail
> head. (disclaimer: I am sure there are other situations but these are
> the ones I have encountered while on vacation).
>
> In Germany, though, the concept of trail head is not so widely used for
> hiking trails. Very often trails are interconnected forming a mesh and
> are accessible from various locations. What we rather have are marked
> parking lots called "Wanderparkplatz", i. e. "hiking parking lot". There
> is even an official traffic sign:
>
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Zeichen_317_-_Wandererparkplatz,_StVO_1992.svg.
>
> The more fancy ones have a map of the surroundings showing all hiking
> trails of the area, possibly with length, hiking duration and
> difficulty. Often there is a waste bin, sometimes a pickinick table,
> very often it's only a few parking spots off the road crossing a forest.
> These hiking parking lots are very often not dedicated to a certain
> trail, though. Often you find them in places where there are footways
> but no marked or named hiking trails at all.
>
> As far as I see we don't currently designate these hiking parking lots
> as such. They are just amenity parking connected to some paths/hiking
> routes plus possibly having an information board mapped. I wouldn't be
> opposed somehow tagging the Wanderparkplatz designation, not sure a
> highway-tag would be right with the amenity, though.
>
> Having this said there are of course also some trail heads in Germany
> that more fit to what I described for the US or what you might have in
> the Netherlands. But they are the minority here I would say.
>
> all the best for the new Year
> Tobias

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska