[Tagging] 'Unknown' value.

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 12:55:50 UTC 2018

Hi all:

I was the one who organized the import of 14,000+ places nodes in
Liberia back in September 2014.

The idea of giving place=unknown (together with a fixme=* tag) to places
that were not possible to determine its value was proposed during the
discussion in the imports list [1] [2].

place=yes was also proposed, and now I guess it would be better than
place=unknown

Back in 2014 many areas of Liberia lacked hires imagery. Now we have
imagery for all the country.

2 days ago, the number of nodes with place=unknown was 977 (so 7% of all
the imported nodes). In a short time I retagged more than 100 (they are
861 nodes with place=unknown left (6%)), a quite easy task.

So I strongly oppose to the removal of these nodes, that could be
retagged quite easily in a short time.

As for the nodes that cannot be retagged, we could change them to place=yes.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/2014-September/003419.html