[Tagging] Default values for residential roads and living streets

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 12 21:16:14 UTC 2018

Hello,

Le 12. 02. 18 à 22:02, Selfish Seahorse a écrit :
> There were quite a few additions of cycleway:both=no and lanes=1 tags
> to residential roads and living streets recently, which makes me
> wonder if it might make sense to define cycleway:both=no and lanes=1
> as default values for highway=residential and highway=living_street on
> the wiki. What do you think about that?

I don't see how it would be possible to set a default global value.
and even for a country-scale default value, here lanes=1 and lanes=2
are just as common.
If you think that a default value makes sense for a country, discuss it
with the country mailing. but as long as there is no mechanism to set
default values in osm, the info on the wiki page will still be useless
for applications that use the data. your wish therefore requires you to
work on the proposed feature "default values".

For cycleway:both=no, setting this to the default value does not change
anything, what is missing is a way to make the difference between "this
route has the default values after verification" of "this route has not
been checked, let's suppose it is the default values as long as nobody
has filled accurate value".
If not, you should also remove surface=asphalt because it's the default
for a residential highway in a lot of country. also remove maxspeed, ...

Regards,
Marc