[Tagging] Proposed features - RFC 2 - Pressurized waterways

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 23:22:50 UTC 2018

Le 13. 02. 18 à 23:57, Warin a écrit :
>>> why not pipeline for this?
>> maybe because a siphon is not a pipeline :)
>
> Umm? A siphon is made from a pipeline

did you read the proposal ?
look at the natural part of the picture
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/e/e6/Waterway_flows.png/500px-Waterway_flows.png
it's not a man_made=pipeline
I have explored several siphons in my life,
but I have never done caving in a pipeline :)

>> and it's a good thing to have a continuity "of water" with waterway=*
> But pipelines can and do contain water .. So it would be a 'good thing'
> to map what is there .. a pipeline.

have 2 separate tags for "use" and for the "hardware" is much more
structured.
We already do this for many other objects e. g. highway <> surface:
you have a continuity of highway=* tag even if the surface of the roads
changes and in case of tunnels or bridges.
this is exactly what the proposal wants to do: a continuity of the
waterway=* tags even if the materials/man_made/usage/tunnel change.
With this clear structure, you can use water flow datas separately from
material datas.

Regards,
Marc