[Tagging] reviving hollow way

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 19 11:32:29 UTC 2018

Wikipedia says they are also known as hollow way - you learn something
every day. Sunken Lane appears to be the preferred terminology however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunken_lane

Why historic? It still is a sunken lane. If you go back a couple of
hundred years it probably wasn't though - the level has lowered through
erosion over a very long period.

It is a way in a cutting, but a special type of cutting whereby it is
not deliberately lowered by a single act of man (or highways authority
or whatever). As such I think cutting=sunken_lane feels good.