[Tagging] reviving hollow way

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 10:01:52 UTC 2018

On 20/02/2018 07:40, joost schouppe wrote:
> Some of the most used historical tags are for things that are just
> old, not necessarily disused or with another use than the original
> one. Wayside cross and shrine, monuments, memorials, castles etc. It
> just seems to signify a special relationship with history, not much
> more than that.

As an aside, I did go through the usage of "historic" in the UK and
Ireland, and it's a bit of a hodge-podge between "things that were once
something but there's nothing there now" (effectively used as a a
lifecycle tag), "things that are still something" (e.g. memorial), and
"things that are still something, but are important because of what they
were" (castle etc.).  I ended up with a list of things to treat as
buildings, things to treat as "almost buildings", things that probably
aren't buildings and some specific other checks (e.g. "chimney"):

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L1509

Essentially, it's a complete mess.  I was glad that I was able to do
something useful with e.g.
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=17&lat=52.657347&lon=-7.12672
- you can find a few grains of wheat in among the chaff but most of
what's in there is (like "hollow_way") a bit too idosyncratic to be even
thinking about creating a regular wiki page for.

> I still haven't heard of a procedure to vote on tag A over tag B, so
> I've invented my own. You can vote here:
>
> https://framadate.org/ApOlIj5ePZvrTjz8

Misses a "none of the above" option.

Best Regards,
Andy