[Tagging] wayside shrine tag definition page

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Feb 21 23:37:01 UTC 2018

> On Feb 21, 2018, at 9:18 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would not consider a freestanding statue or several of them (not in a niche or covered or inside some other construction) , a “shrine”

They are usually the same objects inside other wayside shrines (as I understand it).  The other “statues” are simply luckier to have a roof.

I understand that mapping objects - small wooden or similar structures too small for people to enter vs a statue seems like a good distinction to make, especially for “duck” mapping.

but similar to how we would map bicycle parking as covered=yes/no, the parking is the major concern, rather than then the rain cover.

Maybe it is proper to separate the freestanding jiso statues into a separate category (wayside_statue), but Tomoya is approaching it as they are both wayside statues of jizo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11091167075/in/album-72157638113676925/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11091167075/in/album-72157638113676925/>

I believe these are the same statues. They serve the same purpose. they both get little clothes made for them and prayed to. one group has a roof, the other doesn’t.  this is a way_side shrine on a larger POW ground, along a walking path to the main building. They are pretty common too.

Because they are basically the same thing, Tomoya chooses to view them like bicycle parking (one category, covered=yes/no), while you see them as separate wayside_statue / wayside_shrine.

It might be better to let wayside_shrine be kind of a catchall, and make a wayside_shrine=* subtage with extenable values, rather than making a new tag for every object: column, painting, statue, etc to keep them grouped together - but still allow proper definition.

javbw