[Tagging] [OKFILTER] Re: [OKFILTER] Re: "service" tags in general (for shops)

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Tue Feb 27 13:42:03 UTC 2018

Yes, it's certainly in general use. And its page marks "shop=printing" as a
tagging error.

So I decided to read the documentation about shop vs amenity, and
apparently some shops are marked as amenities if they are useful for
tourists, which I guess a pharmacy is and a chemist isn't.

And estate agents are offices not shops. Good.

The shop=printing discussion page explains why that tag isn't a good idea
either. Basically the distinction needs to be drawn between wholesale and
retail (copyshop) printing. I'd guess that shop=copy_shop covers the case
where Martin proposed shop=printing_service. As for the industrial-strength
version, I don't know.

The shop=copy_shop page also has a fairly large menu of service choices,
including press, prepress, print, ... I pretty much copied that for the
(approved) amenity=internet_cafe proposal. Not sure if the tourist interest
is high enough for internet_cafe to be an amenity rather than a shop (I'd
say yes), but in any case it was approved as an amenity.