[Tagging] discrepancy in shop definition and "wholesale" value

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 12:28:47 UTC 2018

>> The wiki states that a shop is a place selling retail goods or services.
>> The value shop=wholesale, almost 1000 uses, is not fitting into this
>> definition. What shall we do?
>>

> Where did you read that??
> I see on
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dwholesale
> A *warehouse club <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:warehouse_club>* or *cash
> and carry <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Cash_and_carry_(wholesale)>* is
> a large store which sells items in bulk. Many warehouse clubs require a
> membership fee.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/wholesale

for one, by the term "wholesale" used as tag value. Then there is the
wording "selling in bulk" and then there are links to wikipedia (the
significance of this could be disputed and I would be the first to agree).

Reference to the shop definition:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shop

Cheers,
Martin