[Tagging] Culverts and Fords

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 22:06:16 UTC 2018

On 28/02/2018 21:31, Vao Matua wrote:

> What I would like to do is simply merge a node of the road and a node
> of the stream and give it the tag tunnel=culvert (when I do this JOSM
> complains)
Because that would then be a ford rather than a culvert - you're
implying that at a certain point (the joining node) you've got your feet
on the road and in the stream?

> In the case where a culvert carries a watercourse over a road then it
> would make sense to create a way and layer=1

That sounds (at least in English English) like some sort of bridge
(aqueduct) rather than a culvert - though this did come up the last time
that culverts were discussed on this list** - someone found an old
picture of a car going over a bridge over a culvert and thought that the
picture's title ("the culvert") referred to the bridge.

If you genuinely don't know how a road crosses a waterway then you can
of course just have the one crossing the other.  QA sites will flag this
as an error (which is correct - it is) but if you don't have any
information about how to correct the error (is there a ford?  bridge? is
there no bridge but the stream runs in a box culvert?) then to my mind
there's no problem leaving the "error" there so that someone who has
more information can correct it.

Best Regards,

Andy

**
https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=culvert%20site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Flists.openstreetmap.org%2Fpipermail%2F
gets some hits.  There were also a bunch of discussions around the time
that
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Simple_one_node_bridge
was created - so have a look at the lists then.