[Tagging] cycleway:both=no in StreetComplete

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Jan 4 12:46:54 UTC 2018

On 4 January 2018 11:57:05 GMT+00:00, "Matej Lieskovský" <lieskovsky.matej at gmail.com> wrote:
>While considering the absence of a value to imply that it is unknown is
>an
>elegant solution theoretically, I think it has two major problems:
>1) If we try to add every possible tag to every element, the DB will be
>immense and the OWG will try to kill us. Imagine every road having
>access
>tags. Should roads have tunnel=no?
>2) Data consumers will sometimes still need to guess the value, which
>means
>a default still needs to be known.

Too many default tags make it harder for other mappers to spot the important tags too.

I have had issues with one mapper, who seemed to have a lot of time on his hands, armchairing pointless tags such as oneway=no, bicycle=yes, motor_vehicle=yes to roads. The problem was he was hiding incorrect tags in these list such as lanes=2 on single track roads and cycleway=both on roads with no cycleways.

Phil (trigpoint)